Thursday, July 13, 2006

Saying Hello and Goodbye in Rails

Several days ago, I finished install Rails on my system. At that time, I didn't have anything to show you about the easiness of Rails.

In this occasion I will show you how easy it is to create a simple web-based application. The application will just display "hello" and "goodbye".

First, I create an application called "demo" :

$ rails demo
create
create app/controllers
create app/helpers
create app/models
create app/views/layouts
...
create log/test.log

Next, I create a controller "Say" :
$ cd demo
$ ruby script/generate controller Say
exists app/controllers/
exists app/helpers/
create app/views/say
...


Then I create two actions in say_controller.rb :

$ cd app/controllers

Here is my say_controller.rb file :

class SayController <> def hello
@time = Time.now
end
def goodbye
end
end


Next, I create two views for each action (hello.rhtml and goodbye.rhtml) :

$ cd app/views/say

Here is the content of hello.rhtml :


Hello, Rails!


Hello from Rails!



It is now <%= @time %>.



Time to say

<%= link_to "Goodbye!", :action => "goodbye" %>





Here is the content of goodbye.rhtml :

See You Later!



Goodbye!



It was nice having you here.



Say <%= link_to "Hello", :action => "hello" %> again.





After that I start the server :

$ pwd
demo

$ script/server
=> Booting WEBrick...

=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000

=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options

[2006-07-12 22:16:23] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1

[2006-07-12 22:16:23] INFO ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i586-linux]

[2006-07-12 22:16:23] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=5225 port=3000

Now it's time to show some pretty pictures. :D





No comments: